Week 14 - MKTG 3347 - The Petals

 


    As we go further into the flower exercise; we start to understand that each petal signifies the important things individuals want according to their personal and work lives. The seven petals represent the seven ways individuals view themselves. They represent how individuals would like their workplace to be, what kind of people they want to work with, their favorite skills, the knowledge they have, preferred surroundings, preferred salary, and their purpose. Once individuals have finished this exercise they will gain a better understanding of themselves as well as discover patterns and priorities. What Color Is Your Parachute? states "that individuals should know what they are willing to trade off and what they are not". This is very important as often individuals go into jobs blinded by the idea that they must give up certain things to live comfortably. My parents have always had the mentality of sticking to a job that paid well although it made them unhappy. I believe that mental health is much more important and it is the only way individuals will succeed in a workplace. So for one of my petals, I would state that I would like a workplace that has a healthy balance of work and life but also prioritizes mental health. 

    I believe that Petal Five (salary) was incredibly important as it had a budget exercise where you describe how much you spend. Understanding your finances will make you understand your salary preferences and possibly make you more comfortable to state the amount you want. Although it seems like a no-brainer thing to do I never thought about doing this, yes I only applied to jobs where I was okay with the pay but I never felt comfortable stating the amount in salary. 

Bolles, R. N. (2022). What Color Is Your Parachute? Ten Speed Press.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1 - MKTG 3347 - Who am I?

Week 10: MKTG 3347 - Job Hunting

Week 12. MKTG 3347 - Career Changes